December 13, 2010

GLENN GREENWALD ladies and gentlemen!!

Glenn Greenwald, who I accused of accidentally trying to be my favourite person on the internet mere hours ago, is a lawyer, civil rights litigator, journalist and blogger. He writes for Salon, appears on television, and serves on the board of the watchdog organization Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW).

  Well, he used to. Until he wrote this letter:

 December 12, 2010
To the Board of Directors of CREW:
I am hereby resigning from the Board of Directors, effective immediately. I fully expected when joining the Board that CREW would periodically take positions with which I disagreed, and that was perfectly acceptable to me.
But the recent condemnation of WikiLeaks by Anne Weismann, purporting to speak on behalf of CREW, is both baffling and unacceptable to me. It is baffling because I cannot fathom how a group purportedly devoted to greater transparency in government could condemn an entity that has brought more transparency to governments and corporations around the world than any single other organization by far. And it is unacceptable to me because I believe defense of WikiLeaks has become one of the greatest and most important political causes that exists -- certainly one to which I intend to devote myself -- and I do not want to be affiliated with any group which works to undermine it.
I remain supportive of much of the work done by CREW and wish the organization nothing but the best.
Very truly yours,

Glenn Greenwald


Anyone with information on how I can personally thank Glenn Greenwald for being so unabashedly ballsy and awesome can contact me in the comments. I've gotta go cool down somewhere, I'm getting a case of the vapours.

No comments:

Post a Comment