December 11, 2010

UK Student Protests: 15 Year Old smashes generational apathy, is generally smashing

from anticuts.com
Suddenly I'm compelled to go teach in Britain. Watch the video, and come with me.

This kid (whose name might be Ady, or Rodney **But is actually Barnaby Raine--big 'ol hat-tip to  J.Z.!) comes from Wednesday's London Tuition rise protests (in which he was "kettled"--a word you might not know, but will probably recognize from somewhere) to speak passionately, eloquently and incredibly intelligently about how writing off the iphone generation is probably a bad idea--because they care, and they keep speaking up.

He also drops some sly jabs like this one:


 "I thought I was going to go down on lunch break and be back in time for lessons. Perhaps I should have known they put the guy in charge of the G20 in charge, perhaps I should have been more concerned with my life than for whether I was gonna get down for lessons, but when I tried to get out and I was told it was a sterile area, by police officers standing and not letting anyone out, I thought 'well that's why we need a University education, if we don't get one we end up in police uniforms'."


from anticuts.com
I don't make it a habit of routinely ragging on police--I know they're generally only as good as their institutions allow them to be, and each cop is different-- but considering their part in the ongoing fight for civil rights in the UK, this kid doesn't sound wrong. Least of all with 23 kids in London hospitals with their heads bashed in right now, from the very protest this kid was at. Sounds a lot like my Toronto.

The BBC gives us a breakdown of what the hubbub is about--in short, a 3x increase in tuition in the UK that would bring it to about 9,000 pounds a year. Which is insane.

4 comments:

  1. nice, thanks....
    i've thought about the 'canadians teaching in england' thing before too.....but i can't help but think that THE reason why the UK is hiring so many canadian teachers is to break the labour power of UK teachers. from what i hear of the education changes in the UK for the past 10 years, the profession has taken a beating and rather than listen to the needs of students and teachers -- the admin chooses to find more willing teachers who have little or no interest/knowledge in the political context.
    but i do wonder what we could do over 'there'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely the biggest reason I'm not over there right now. I'd feel more than a mite complicit--and there isn't a great track record with keeping dissident opinions safe over there, either from the UK's prerogative or the Harper government's...
    But they're so angry, and is it better to have sympathetic and active people teaching over there, or people who aren't paid to give a damn (and therefore don't)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Dropping by from a link on Sean's facebook. I know him through EWB - I was active at the UofT chapter a few years ago and hazily remember you - hey! really enjoying your blog and will subscribe via rss!)

    The 15 year old kid's name is Barnaby Raine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, J. Z.--for the compliment, and for coming by to read! Also, hey! Gonna poke around your blog, myself...

    ReplyDelete